How many hours should I study ?
Some of you out there must be toppers of your class or among the top 10% of your class. But that is just a performance in your class or best at a school level. It means till now you have been competing among a small student base of 50 – 1000 students.
But once you start preparing for IITJEE or AIEEE entrance, the competition is huge. This year in 2015, over 2 lakh students appeared in IITJEE and over 12 lakh in AIEEE. So our advice is that you seriously need to scale up your efforts to face the competition.
Are you ready to face these challenges?
You need to prepare yourself mentally as well as physically to face this competition. Mentally, you need to think wide when you think of competition you are facing so don’t get defocused and remember that you have to compete with unknowns so you have to put your all efforts in it to excel.
May you have scored well in your school level examinations by not even spending 20 hours on studies at home but this is not going to be enough with such a huge competition. You need to scale up your efforts and set a target of 50-55 hours studies at home every week and you have to scale up step by step.
It also true that you are not going to get start studying for 9-10 hours suddenly, it requires proper strategy.
- For the first week you try to cut down your time which you are spending in other works by 2 to 3 hours
- Next week cut down your time which you are spending in other works again by 2 to 3 hours
- You cannot start studying 1o hours a day suddenly where as earlier you are studying for 3 to 4 hours
- Try to do same as earlier, Increase your study time from 3-4 to 6-7 hours and in next week or after 2 weeks scale up to 9 to 10 hours.
How you study for these hours?
You have to study with full concentration, no disturbance, and continuously for 3 hour sessions. The idea is to simulate real exam conditions. While studying, you have to create an atmosphere as if you are sitting in exam. Avoid doing following during a 3 hours session:
- Avoid studying while lying down on a bed. Study on a desk if you have it at home.
- Don’t get up from your desk during 3 hours of study session. Even not for drinking water. Keep a water bottle beside you even before you started your study session.
- Don’t listen to music during studies. If you have a habit, then slowly come out of it by reducing it day by day.
- No phone calls and no SMS during studies.
- Study with 100 percent concentration as if you are sitting in exam.
Credits: CHANDRAJEET KUMAR.